• Print

Electoral roll

The electoral roll contains the people who are eligible to vote and are not temporarily or permanently deprived of the right to vote. 

The electoral roll for these elections is made up of: 

  • The register of voters resident in Catalonia (CER).
  • The register of absent residents who live abroad, registered in municipalities in Catalonia (CERA).

The Electoral Roll Office at the National Institute of Statistics (INE) is tasked with drawing up the electoral roll in partnership with local councils and consulates. 

In addition, the people in charge of the Civil Registry and the Registry of Convicted Offenders and Fugitives have to report any circumstance that may affect registration on the electoral roll.

You can check you are registered during the electoral roll display and correction period in the electoral period between the 10 and 17 August at: 

  • The provincial office of the Electoral Roll Office in your province.
  • Local councils and consulates.
  • The electronic office of the National Institute of Statistics (https://sede.ine.gob.es). In this case the query requires an electronic certificate issued by the Electronic National Institute of Statistics (INE). 

You can also check the information by calling the Electoral Roll Office on 901 101 900. 

Voters who have changed address or are voting for the first time will need to check in particular that their details are correct. 

Yes. Registration on the electoral roll is mandatory in order to vote.

Yes. Early in the year all residents who will turn 18 between 1 January and 31 December of the current year are entered on the electoral roll with the annotation "minor". 

These "minors" registered on the electoral roll can vote if they have turned 18 by 27 September or turn 18 on the 27th

The electoral roll to be used is the one closed on 1 June 2015. 

If your details are wrong, you can file an application to change them or a complaint between 10 and 17 August in the Town or City Council, consulate or provincial offices of the Electoral Roll Office.

Only claims about the following issues will be admitted: 

  • Remedying mistakes in personal details.
  • Change of address in the same constituency.
  • Non-inclusion of the complainant on any electoral roll section in the constituency in spite of being entitled to be included. 

The following will not be admitted: 

  • Complaints concerning a change of address from one constituency to another made after 29 May 2015, the date when the electoral roll was closed. 

If the complaint is made to: 

  • your local council, you will have to show your national identity document, passport or driving licence (a photocopy must be provided), or
  • the provincial office of the Electoral Roll Office, where you will have to show your national identity document, passport or driving licence (a photocopy must be provided) and a certificate of being on the population register. 

The provincial offices of the Electoral Roll Office will rule on complaints no later than 20 August and will display these rulings publically on 21 August. They will also notify the complainant, local councils and consulates about their decision.

An electoral roll card is a document issued by the Electoral Roll Office which contains the updated details of registration on the electoral roll and of the section and committee where you have to cast your ballot. 

It is purely informational and cannot be used for identification when you vote.

Specific electoral roll certificates are issued exclusively by the provincial offices of the Electoral Roll Office. 

There are two types: 

  • Registration specific electoral roll certificate. It is proof that the person presenting it is registered on the roll even though they are not on the lists. 
  • Correction of mistakes specific electoral roll certificate. The person is on the lists but there is a mistake in their details (name, surname, etc.). 

Specific electoral roll certificates must be presented when you cast your ballot.

You must report a change of address to the local council concerned. 

If it is in the same municipality, it may lead to a change in the section or committee where you have to vote. 

Changes reported after 29 May 2015 (the date on which the electoral roll is closed) do not appear on the electoral roll and therefore cannot be taken into account, although changes reported prior to this date can be.